Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Sev Tameta Nu Shak –Gujarat Way




Rajasthan and Gujarat are two Indian states located in western India sharing borders with each other. I have a deep connection with both these places. While I was born and brought up in Rajasthan, I did my graduation and eventually got married to a guy from Gujarat. If you are wondering why I am talking about this then let me tell you. My idea is to talk about one dish that is equally popular in both the states.

Sev Tamatar Ki Subji or known as Sev Tameta Nu Shak in Guajarati. I have marwadi/rajasthani style sev Tamatar ki subji before but today its Gujarati way. Now what’s the difference you ask? Well, Rajasthani one is loaded with garlic and lots of chillies. Gujarati way is sour and sweet, made with jaggery (gud). Honestly I like both the ways equally-it just depends on my mood. Mostly in Gujarat this subzi served with bhakri.


Now, sev is deep fried gram/chickpea flour vermicelli. The curry is made with garlic, chopped onions, tomatoes and Indian spices to which finally sev is added. There is no hard and fast rule on how to make the curry but I would say that please add sev just before serving otherwise it will become really soggy and mushy.

So few days back I got an email when someone asked me about the consistency of the sev Tamatar ki sabzi- well, it is again a personal choice and taste. If you like runny gravy, add more water. If you like dry, reduce the water. I like it semi-thick which means you can see the water but not too much.


Which kind of sev should you use? Any kind but which is thicker then nylon sev. Best is to use Ratlami Sev or thick sev. Here is how to make Sev Tameta Nu Shak –Gujarat Way!

Ingredients:
3 medium tomatoes, chopped finely
1 medium tomato, blended
5 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 medium size onion chopped finely
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1/4 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder/dhaniya
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons grated jagery/gud (or adjust as per taste)
2 cups water
1/2 cup sev/namkeen/bhujia
2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves

Method:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add cumin, let it splutter.
Add garlic and chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute or till onion turns soft.
Add chopped tomatoes and blended tomato.
Add the spices. Mix and cook tomatoes covered till they turn soft and mushy.
Add 2 cups or water and jaggery. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
Add sev and coriander leaves. Mix and serve.

Notes:
You can add sugar as well instead of jiggery (goor). Also please adjust the sweetens as per you taste
You can use any kind of sev-bikaneri bhujia, ratlami sev, thick sev, massala sev.
Please add or reduce water as per the consistency you decide.
Add sev just before serving.




1 comment:

  1. This is a new and tempting recipe for me, book marked to try when I have sev available.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)