Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday's Tip- What To Do With Leftover Daal?


Using leftovers is a great practice, after all who wants to waste the delicious food that you cook with love and passion. I have a friend who throws food out daily and it pains my heart. I have argued with her, explained her and even requested her not to do that-but all in vain- sigh! The best idea will be to prepare the food in the quantity that you family needs- I always do that. But there are times when I am still left with the food- like, when I made Cabbage And Peas Subji for my cousin and he mentioned he doesn't eat cabbage, I had to use it to make parathas- you can see HERE.

Last Friday same situation took place. Mr. Husband loves daal, any kind, in any form. So here is what happened- I cooked simple daal and rice for us- he called and said he will be late for dinner as he has lot of work in the office- he already ate something filling in the office-finally he came back at 11pm- at home he had just 1 bowl of daal. So I was left with lots of daal. Serving same menu the next day is a big no no for us. So What To Do With Leftover Daal? I made thin and crispy chilla/cheela/ pancake with it.

I have prepared Moong Dal Chillas before and it is truly one delightful healthy snack. But using leftover daal was one bang on idea and that is why I wanted to share with you all. I used garlic, onions, tomatoes, curry leaves and green chilies to make the daal and all these ingredients finally uplifted the taste for the chillas. So here is what you have to do.


Ingredients:
2 bowls thick daal
1/4 cup gram flour/chickpeas flour/besan
5 tablespoons semolina/suji/rawa
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Coriander leaves/dhaniya
Oil to make chillas
Water to make the batter

Method:
In a blender/grinder/mixer blend the daal to a smooth paste
Mix daal with gram flour, semolina, salt, coriander leaves and water. Use water little at a time. The batter should be of ribbon consistency.
Heat a non stick pan/tawa and spread ladle full of batter on it. Spread the batter as thinly as possible into circle. Sprinkle some oil. Let it cook. With the help of spatula, turn the chilla and cook other side.
Serve hot with green chutney.



Notes:
Remember there is salt in the daal.
I used thick daal, if the dal you are using is runny then you might need to add more besan and rava.
If you wish you can add chopped onions and green chilies in the batter as well.

11 comments:

  1. Useful too Shwetha:)besan flour pancake. Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice idea dear...the cheela's look yumm dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice idea :) looks so doable too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant :) I used to bake leftover dal, layered with steamed veggies and topped with cheese- kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great ideas for using leftover daal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really useful idea for using leftover daal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great I am going to cock this.

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)